Thursday, August 21, 2008

Zambia - Kristin Davis


Hi :) Okay, so my name is Kristin Davis. I just graduated high school and had the awesome opportunity of going to Lusaka, Zambia this summer with an organization named Global Expeditions, and would love to share a little bit with you.
I am a total scenery person and people watcher, so the two hour drive to our site from the airport to where we slept, I just soaked Africa in. I was so pumped to be in Africa (and actually accidently started screaming for joy in my sleep on the plane because I was so excited) that I didn't know what to do with myself. The landscape on the outskirts of Lusaka is beautiful with trees and hills, but the poverty took all focus off of landscape. If you have ever been to or seen pictures of the poorest places in Managua, Nicaragua, that is basically what Lusaka looks like, except multiply the number of people in one area by a tremendous amount. Tiny mud and scrap wood huts held families of seven and were situated back to back.
The first day in Zambia, the seventy teenagers and leaders on the project split into eleven groups and headed to church. Haha! When I first heard we were going to ELEVEN different churches made me laugh because I thought, "Eleven! First of all, I haven't even seen one," and then sadly I asked myself, "How can Zambians afford to build eleven different churches?"

I soon learned never to put limitations of God.
I hope this isn't seen as a generalization, but from what I experienced, Zambian Christ followers are great worshipers. At church they sang their hearts out and bowed down unashamed of the people around them. Another example: The first week of ministry we slept in the same house as the 300 orphans who we were teaching at Vacation Bible School. The women that kept the house woke-up at 4 AM to pray over these children every morning. The way these ladies devote their lives to God makes it evident they know how much He delights in them. They love life!
Our God is such an awesome God, and I learned there is always a deeper way to experience Him; so keep pressing into Him. :) And remember that you are free! And that thankfulness isn't about realizing how much we have, but praising God for it.

I have one last thing to mention. There were sixteen girls in my group and three missionaries. We were each asked to find sponsors for specific girls. Basically this entails a $35/month donation; which pays for school, uniforms, food, school supplies, and medical expenses. Please pray about this. If you feel led and are interested in sponsorship e-mail me, Kristin Davis, at Kristin_Davis@baylor.edu. Sponsorship is more of a relationship than anything. You will have the chance to write and send gifts, so please remember this when making your decision.
Remember to pray about your dreams!
Kristin Davis

No comments: