Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nicaragua - Courtney & Kathryn Skinn

Every time I return from Nicaragua my heart becomes more and more wrecked. In the beginning it was so easy to see the beauty and the joy of the people and think that “they get it and have it all”. I think God has taken the long approach with my heart. He reveals a little more to me each time I go to serve the people of Nicaragua. This trip I received the gift of truth. Yes they are beautiful people and they love their families but that does not answer the real question of how they are going to get their next meal. It is very easy to believe that because the people are so loving and joyful that they don’t suffer. It is easy to overlook the poverty when you see their souls, but the poverty is real! I asked Kathryn what was the most surprising thing to her about our trip and she replied “Aaron, I can’t believe he didn’t have a bed growing up!” Aaron is one the dear translators we are blessed to work with who exudes JOY and LOVE. He loves the Lord with all his heart and lets you know it! When you meet these loving people you are easily seduced into believing that they are ok with their impoverished situations. Not true! The truth I received is that the poverty is REAL but that does not take away from the beauty of the people.

This trip I also had a special treat as my daughter Kathryn went with me. We worked with a medical team of 14 helping run a Health Fair and community clinic for each of the schools. It was very cool to get to see the beginning of Gods work in Kathryn’s young heart being wrecked!!!

No comments: